Tuesday 8 July 2008

Pass on, pass on...




Why say what is? Why afflict the things with their meaning? I can imagine only a longing that with continual wandering traverses the world. All things are so ready to host for a short time our many and often confused thoughts and desires.-I want to rest for one night in each thing when by day I have gone with my doings through the other things.-I want to sleep one time beside each thing, grow drowsy from its warmth, on its breathing dream up and down, sense in all my limbs its dear relaxed naked being-near and become strong through the scent of its sleep and then in the morning, early, before it wakes, ahead of all farewells, pass on, pass on

(Excerpt from Diaries of a young poet by Rainer Maria Rilke, Translated by Edward Snow & Michael Winkler. Published by W. W. Norton & Company, 1998)

No comments: